Quick and Easy Appetizers

So we are all moved in (thank God) but not quite unpacked.  It seems I was a little delusional when it came to a timeline.  I thought we would move in on Friday morning and finish unpacking that day.  Then we would paint every room and be finished by Sunday.  Not quite.

We did manage to unpack and paint the kids room before they got home on Sunday though.  Not sure if I mentioned it earlier, but this was a complete surprise for them.  They had no idea we were moving, so when they walked into a house on Sunday and were told it was theirs...well, not sure I need to explain how excited they were.  It was classic.  I video taped it on my blackberry, and it's a moment in time that I will keep forever.

My first guest came over yesterday.  She is one of my dearest friends, and I obviously couldn't have her over without feeding her.  The problem was I had no time, and barely any food on hand to get a quick lunch together.  So I opted for some quick and super easy appetizers.  A finger food lunch - you can't go wrong.  Below is what I served - enjoy!!


Figs & Goat Cheese Wrapped in Prosciutto
Very easy - get a nice goat cheese (I got a "fig spread" at Loblaws, it was super cheap, and was goat cheese and figs mixed together in a log - fabulous), get some dried (but not too hard) figs, and some prosciutto (I chose the smoked prosciutto, it has a nice bite to it).  One at a time, spread some goat cheese at one edge of the prosciutto place a fig on top, and roll it up.  All done.


Cherry Tomato & Bocconcini Skewers
Another incredibly easy recipe - get some mini bocconcini balls and some cherry tomatoes.  Basil leaves are optional, but a nice touch.  I personally cut my tomatoes in half, put a top on the toothpick, a bocconcini, and the bottom of the tomato.  I served it with a little bowl of extra virgin olive oil & balsamic vinegar for dipping.  You can also do as the picture shows - whole cherry tomatoes, with a basil leaf in between.  Your choice, but either way it takes 5 minutes (or less) to prepare.





Tex-Mex Chicken Pinwheels
Let's see if I can remember exactly what I did here - it was also very easy and quick.  Mix up a tub of cream cheese with about half a pack of tex-mex shredded cheese.  Add some cooked chopped chicken, half of a chopped, seeded tomato, and 2 chopped scallions.  Throw in some coriander (I used the kind that comes in the tubes - convenient, and it stays fresh longer).  Mix this all up and spread on about 6 whole wheat tortillas.  Roll them up (individually) and wrap them in plastic.  Put them in the fridge for about 2 hours.  Preheat your oven to 375, take out the rolls and slice diagonally.  Put them on a baking sheet and bake for about 7 minutes.  Yum.


Mini Pitas Stuffed With Hummus
Get a bag of whole wheat mini pitas, some hummus (I bought the curry flavored one to get some East-Indian flare), chop up some cucumber and tomato mixed with salt.  Cut the pitas in half, stuff with hummus and top with veggies.  You can't get any easier then that!!

I also served store-bought chips with my homemade salsa.

With the wine that my lovely friend brought, these apps turned into a well-rounded meal.

So there you have it folks - entertaining with 20 minutes to prepare - piece of cake!!

Comments