Creamy Broccoli White Bean Soup

I am a huge believer in soups.  They keep you warm, they are a healthy comfort food, and they help me on my quest for the perfect body.  I have soup everyday for lunch, sometimes accompanied by a salad.  Every Sunday I make a large batch of soup for the week, and split it into 5 portions for my work days.  I love soup.

The only way to keep this up though, is to continuously try new soups, because I get bored easily.  Last week was Cauliflower Soup.  It was great, and at only 47 calories a bowl, I was loving it (very simple - boil a head of cauliflower, onions & garlic to your tastes, in a pot of chicken broth.  Use a hand blender and blend up once soft.  Season as you wish - I use salt, pepper, and cayenne because I like the 'kick')

This week is Creamy Broccoli White Bean Soup, and it's a keeper.  Thanks Whole Living, you always have fantastic yet practical recipes!


Creamy Broccoli White Bean Soup
1 head broccoli cut in florets
2 T EVOO (I left this out - the purpose of soup for me is to fill me up with as little calories as possible and still taste great, so the extra fat wasn't necessary)
1 onion diced (I used 2 - cut in big chunks)
2 garlic sliced
1 15oz white beans (kidney, cannellini, etc) drained & rinsed
2 1/2 c chicken stock (I used 4 cups)
salt & pepper
1 T pine nuts toasted (I left these out)
1/2 oz shaved Parmesan for serving (I left this out)

Steam the broccoli florets & stems until tender, 3 minutes.  Let cool slightly (I didn't, I just threw everything else in and continued cooking).  Reserve 1/2 c florets for garnish (I didn't).  Heat oil (if using) in a medium pot over medium heat.  Saute onion and garlic 6 minutes (as mentioned, I just threw them in with the broccoli and added the stock).  Add beans and stock and bring to a simmer.  Remove from heat and add broccoli back in.  Puree until smooth.  Season with salt & pepper. Garnish each bowl with florets, pine nuts, and Parmesan. 

The garnish is great if you are serving this to you family and/or company, but seeing as I make this for myself, I'm skipping the added work (and fat).  My recipe works out to be the following for 5 servings (per serving) - 140 calories, 23g carbs, 0g fat (yes - zero!!), and 8g protein.

Enjoy!

Comments