Mini Spinach & Feta Frittatas - Under 100 Calories!!

Since I’m always on the lookout for quick, easy, and healthy dinner ideas, I was delighted to come across a recipe in a recent Canadian Living magazine that utilizes muffin cups to create a main dish.  My mind began racing with ideas of how I can use muffin cups for other dinners.  Lasagna, meatloaf, mac & cheese…the possibilities are endless!  This recipe was incredibly easy and only 96 calories per frittata, so enjoy.  The kids loved it too.  You can mix up the veggies to suit your tastes – chopped broccoli would be great, or some roasted red peppers, sundried tomatoes, artichokes, anything.  I’m SUPER excited about experimenting with muffin cups going forward, so stay tuned for more easy, healthy and portable meal ideas!

You’ll see below that I totally ‘cheated’ and left out half of the ingredients, as well as switched up fresh for frozen.  I was in a serious time crunch and had to feed some hungry stomachs in minutes – a Mom’s gotta do what a Mom’s gotta do!



Mini Spinach & Feta Frittatas
2 T EVOO
2 green onions sliced (white & green parts separated) – (I left these out, didn’t have any)
10oz sliced mushrooms (also left these out – the kids don’t like mushrooms)
Salt & pepper
4c chopped fresh spinach (I used a package of thawed & squeezed out frozen spinach)
8 eggs
1/3c milk
1/2c crumbled feta

In a skillet heat oil over medium-high heat and cook the white parts of the green onion for 1 minute.  Add the mushrooms, salt & pepper, and cook until no liquid remains, 6 minutes.  Remove from heat and stir in the green parts.  Divide among 12 greased muffin cups and set aside.  In a bowl beat the eggs with the milk.  Divide among the muffin cups and sprinkle with feta.  Bake in a 350 oven until edges are set, 10 minutes.  Broil until golden and puffed, 2 minutes.  Let cool in the pan for 4 minutes before removing.  You can wrap these individually and freeze if you would like.

Ok, so easy enough right?  My version was even easier.  I mixed the spinach, salt & pepper in a bowl, and divided it among the muffin cups.  In the same bowl I mixed the eggs and milk, and divided again.  Then in the oven they went.  12 minutes later I had a healthy, delicious meal.  I served them with left over corn on the cob. 

For those of you interested, the nutritional info per each frittata is below:
96 calories
6g protein
7g fat
2g carbs
1g fibre

I wrapped the leftovers individually and have been taking them for lunch to work.  Fantastic!  Great with some hot sauce as well.

Talk soon!

Comments