Fish Tacos And Chickpea Salad

It's very hard to find a good fish taco.  I have been to restaurants where the fish is too soggy, or there wasn't enough seasoning used, or the sauces just didn't go right.  It's a fairly simple, fresh dish, but one that is difficult to get right.  It is my personal (and probably biased) opinion, that this recipe gets it right.  And I'm LOVING the sauce! 

I served this with a simple chickpea salad.  Enjoy!


Fish Tacos
3/4 c fat free sour cream (I used fat free yogurt - more tang)
1 can chopped green chilies
1 T fresh cilantro leaves
1 T lime juice
4 tilapia fillets (I used basa)
1/2 c flour
1 egg white beaten (I used a whole egg)
1/2 c panko bread crumbs (I used Italian bread crumbs and seasoned them with salt & paprika)
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp each white pepper, cayenne & paprika
8 corn tortillas, warmed
1 large tomato, finely chopped

Place first 4 ingredients in the food processor; blend & set aside.  Cut each fillet lengthwise into 2 portions.  Place flour, egg white, and bread crumbs in separate shallow bowls.  Dip fish in flour, than egg white, than crumbs.  In a large skillet over medium heat cook fish in oil in batches for 4-5 minutes per side.  Combine seasonings and sprinkle over fish.  Place a portion of fish in each tortilla, top with 2 T of sour cream mixture, and sprinkle with tomatoes.



Chickpea Salad
1 can chickpeas drained & rinsed
3 plum tomatoes chopped
1 c chopped cucumber
1 c chopped green pepper
3 green onions sliced
1/2 c chopped walnuts (I always leave these out)
1/4 c chopped mint
1/3 c crumbled feta
Vinaigrette:
3 T lemon juice
2 T EVOO
2 tsp cumin
3/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cayenne

Mix vinaigrette together in large bowl, add veggies and mix.  That's it!

Comments