Chipotle Chicken Kebobs & Crispy Sweet Potato Fries - Grilling on a Saturday Evening!

I love using the bbq in the summer - especially now that we have a new bbq that I can actually use.  It's my new favorite thing, and I am definitely going to get as much grill time as possible this summer. 

This meal was a real hit with both the BF and the kids - especially the fries!  The kebob's are adapted from an Oprah Magazine recipe and the fries are from The Food Network Magazine.

Enjoy!!



Chipotle Chicken Kebobs
2 large chipotles in adobo sauce + 1T adobo sauce (I used the whole can, sauce and all!)
2 medium shallots minced (I used an onion)
2 tsp Dijon mustard
1 T + 1 tsp veg oil
1 1/4lb boneless chicken breast cut in 2" pieces (the recipe calls for turkey breast, I used chicken)
2 orange peppers cut in 2" pieces
20 shiitake mushrooms stemmed
16 fresh bay leaves (these are optional - I bought them specifically for the recipe and then forgot to add them)
I also added radishes since they get super-sweet when grilled, as well as big chunks of red onion

Soak 8 wooden skewers in water for 15 - 30 minutes (I used the metal ones).  In a large bowl combine the first 4 ingredients + 1tsp oil.  Add the chicken pieces and let marinate in fridge for 3 hours.  Preheat grill to medium-high.  Thread the chicken with veggies (alternating as you see fit).  Drizzle with remaining oil and season with salt & pepper.  Grill 8 minutes.  Turn & continue grilling 8 minutes more.  Yum!



Crispy Sweet Potato Fries
1/2c panko
1 tsp each cumin & paprika (I used smoked paprika)
1 T EVOO
salt
1 egg white (I used about 3, 1 didn't seem like enough)
2 medium sweet potatoes peeled & cut in 1/4" thick sticks (I didn't peel them - just washed them very well and sliced as is; the skin is packed with fiber and nutrients)

Put baking sheet in oven & preheat to 425. Combine ingredients up until egg whites in a bowl and set aside.  Whisk egg whites in a large bowl until frothy and add potatoes.  Toss to coat.  Add panko mixture and toss again.  Spread on hot baking sheet and sprinkle with remaining crumbs from the bowl.  Bake 25 minutes. 

So here are my comments on this one - the fries were DELICIOUS but I had to bake them for almost twice the amount of time specified.  Also, you will notice how difficult it is to evenly spread the panko mixture over the fries, even with several tosses, and the leftover crumbs bunch up and bake into a kind of cracker.  Fear not!!!  These crispy tidbits are so good, and add a wonderful variation in texture from the fries.

Hope you enjoy this summery bbq meal as much as we did!

Comments

  1. As usual, your food looks spectacular. I'll bet it was delicious as well. I love sweet potatoes and will probably try your recipe for the fries soon. I used to have a really nice grill at my last apartment. When we moved, I accidentally left it in the backyard. I never even thought about it until the weather was warmer again and then I was like... oh well. I guess it turned into a welcome gift for the people that moved in after us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no, that's terrible! Oh well, I'm sure you replaced it with something better :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment