Biscuits & Gravy With Green Beans

This month I participated (loosely) in a pantry challenge that I heard about on another blog.  I love following this woman for a couple of reasons - I have to be frugal with my grocery budget, and I have a family who is rather picky about what they eat, so luckily Jessica makes husband and kid-approved meals. 

For the month of August I managed to spend under $200 on groceries for my family (consisting of the dear BF, my daughter, and my step-daughter).  I'm very proud of that number, but I have to say that I am so. tired. of. chicken.  So tired.

For September I think I will attempt to get more creative, and really go hard with the couponing, price matching, and wag jag deals, in order to stay within budget and keep the bellies happy.  I'll post my progress and grocery bill totals as I go.  If I can stay within $300 for the month I will be one happy camper (since it's now time to go back to school which means I need extra food to pack lunches).

This recipe was so simple, so delicious, and so cheap!  I've never made biscuits and gravy but have always been intrigued by the dish.  It really is down home comfort food - and can be made for breakfast, lunch or dinner.  I cheated a little and bought Pillsbury biscuits, but next time I might try making my own.

Enjoy!






Biscuits & Gravy With Green Beans
2 cans Pillsbury Flaky Biscuits
1 package of pork breakfast sausages, casings removed
flour (about 2 Tbsp)
milk (about 2 cups; adding more as required, see below)
seasoning salt & pepper to taste
green beans
1 Tbsp butter
garlic powder to taste
parmesan cheese to taste

For the biscuits, follow the directions on the can (or you can make your own!).  While they are in the oven, you can work on the gravy and green beans.

For the gravy, brown the meat over medium heat.  Add seasoning salt & pepper.  When the meat has been browned, add the flour and stir constantly for about 2 minutes.  The meat will look very dry - that's ok.  Turn the heat down to medium-low and gradually add the milk.  Eyeball it until you have achieved your desired consistency.  I added about a cup at a time.  Stir in between additions because the sauce will thicken as you do.  Season with more salt & pepper. 

For the green beans, boil salted water over high heat.  Once boiling, throw the green beans in for about 2 minutes.  Turn off the burner and drain.  Return the beans to the pot and warm burner (with the heat off) and add butter, garlic powder, and cheese.  Stir over warm burner until the beans are fully coated.

When it's time to serve, you might need to add a little more milk to loosen up the gravy as it thickens fairly quickly.  I turned my burner back on to very low heat, and slowly added in a bit more milk.  It was perfect.

We have leftovers, so when I reheat I will add milk again. 

Delicious, easy, frugal, and oh so comforting!!





Comments