Shrimp and Kale Pitas

I have a confession.  I've been on a serious kale kick lately.  I can't seem to get enough of it.  In fairness, I'm new to the whole kale-bandwagon, so I probably have a lot of catching up to do.  It's possible that serving this to my family as often as I have been will result in an adamant 'no thank you' at some point, but I'll ride this one out as long as I can. 

Kale really is a nutrition powerhouse.  It's very high in beta carotene, vitamin K, vitamin C, and calcium.  It's high in fiber and protein, and can aid in lowering cholesterol.  It has been shown to lower your risk of cancer, and has over 45 flavanoids.  Why wouldn't I want to force this down my loved ones throats lovingly provide this to my family every single day??

Needless to say, this is a great recipe (aren't all of my recipes great?).  We had a ton of leftover kale already mixed with the dressing, but we ate it as a side dish all week.  That's another great thing about this leafy green - it doesn't get soggy!  That's right folks, you can soak this in your favorite dressing and keep it in the fridge all week!  No words.

Thank you Food Network!




Shrimp And Kale Pitas
½ c plain low-fat yogurt
3 T EVOO
Juice of 1 lemon
1 garlic clove, finely grated
Salt
1/8 tsp cayenne
1 small bunch of kale, stems removed and leaves thinly sliced
¾ lb shrimp, peeled and deveined
1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1 pint grape tomatoes, halved
½ small red onion thinly sliced
4 pieces pita bread, halved

Preheat broiler.  Whisk yogurt with 2 ½ T EVOO the lemon juice, garlic, ¼ tsp salt and the cayenne in a large bowl.  Add kale and toss to coat.  Set aside at room temp while you prepare the shrimp.  Toss shrimp with remaining EVOO on a baking sheet.  Broil 4-5 minutes; let cool slightly.  Add shrimp, chickpeas, tomatoes and red onion to the bowl with kale; toss to coat.  Stack the pitas on a plate and warm in a microwave for 30 seconds.  Fill with shrimp mixture.

Per serving (of 4):
554 calories
15g fat
72g carbs
9g fiber
35g protein

Comments